Later this month, we’re hosting our first virtual reading group to discuss ‘The Catch’ by T.M. Logan. It’s one of our current ‘Read/Listen Now – No Waiting’ titles on BorrowBox, meaning that you can download it as either an eBook or on eAudio straightaway. Whether you’re able to join us (places are limited and it has already proved very popular) or if you’re reading this book for your own reading group or if you’ve just seen the cover and fancy knowing a bit more about the book and its author, this post is for you!
Taken from the BorrowBox blurb:
“She says he’s perfect. I know he’s lying . . . He caught me watching, and our eyes met. That was when it hit me. There was something not quite right about my daughter’s new boyfriend . . .”
Ed finally meets his daughter’s boyfriend for the first time. Smart, successful and handsome, Ryan appears to be a real catch. Then Abbie announces their plan to get married. There’s just one problem. Ed thinks Ryan is lying to them. Who would you believe? All of Ed’s instincts tell him his daughter is in terrible danger – but no-one else can see it. With the wedding date approaching fast, Ed sets out to uncover Ryan’s secrets, before it’s too late . . .
From T.M. Logan’s website:
Bestselling author T.M. Logan was a national newspaper journalist before turning to novel-writing full time. His thrillers have sold more than 900,000 copies in the UK and are published in 19 countries around the world including the USA, South Korea, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Poland, Hungary, Serbia, Greece, Romania and the Netherlands.
His debut thriller ‘Lies‘ was one of Amazon UK’s biggest eBooks of 2017 – winning a Silver Award at the Nielsen Bestseller Awards – and was followed by his second standalone, ‘29 Seconds‘ (2018). ‘The Holiday‘ was a Richard & Judy Book Club pick and spent ten weeks in the Sunday Times paperback Top 10. His latest novel ‘The Catch‘ is about a father who becomes convinced his daughter is about to marry a man with terrible secrets. ‘Trust Me‘, his brand new thriller, will be published in the UK by Bonnier Books on 18th March 2021.
Tim lives in Nottinghamshire with his wife and two children, and writes in a cabin at the bottom of his garden.
- What did you enjoy most when reading ‘The Catch’?
- What did you make of the opening chapter? Do you like these kinds of starts to books – where you thrown into the heart of the story but details are vague?
- Did you have a favourite scene? If so, which bit was it and why did you like it?
- Did you trust Ed as a narrator?
- Who was your favourite character? Did your thoughts about any of the characters change as you read through the book?
- ‘The Catch’ (and all of T.M Logan’s books) are thrillers – what is it about this genre of books that you enjoy (or don’t enjoy?)
- If you have read other T.M. Logan books, how did this one compare? Better? Worse? OR If you haven’t read any of his others book, would you now read more by him?
- Lee Child described this book as “Assured, compelling, and hypnotically readable” – what three words (or technically four) would use to describe ‘The Catch’?
- Was this a book you couldn’t put down? How long did it take you to read?
- Would you recommend it to other readers? If so/if not, why?
Other reading suggestions
If you’ve finished ‘The Catch’ and enjoyed it, then obviously we would recommend you read all of T.M. Logan‘s back catalogue (and keep an eye out for his latest next year)!
If you have already read them all, can we suggest you try these other great thriller writers next:
B.A. Paris – ‘Bring Me Back‘ follows the story of Finn. 12 years ago, his girlfriend disappeared and Finn told the truth to police….. didn’t he?
Linwood Barclay -In ‘Elevator Pitch‘, two detectives investigate who is behind a series of catastrophes involving plummeting lifts in high rise buildings (don’t read if this is one of your worst fears!)
C.J. Tudor (we’re noticing a theme amongst thriller writer names!) – If you like your thrillers with a little dash of spookiness, C.J. Tudor is an author you should definitely try! Start with her debut novel ‘The Chalk Man‘.
Tana French – Another author who sometimes dabbles in spookiness and whose novels always feature menace. Try ‘The Wych Elm‘ – a book that explores family secrets after the discovery of a skull hidden inside a tree.
Alex Michaelides – ‘The Silent Patient‘ was Michaelides’ debut novel and quickly established him as a bestselling thriller author. Read the book to find out why!
We hope that you now have lots to think about if you are reading ‘The Catch’ and that we’ve given you some other thrilling reads to try next. Let us know any of your favourite and as always, Happy Reading!!